[CS-FSLUG] Would someone take pity on me?

Ruth Marlene Friesen Bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Mon Jun 27 18:08:47 CDT 2005

On June 25, 2005 11:25 pm, Nathan T. wrote:
> I've always found backups on the same computer not to be very
> dependable, burning to CDs or DVDs is a nice cheap alternative to this
> but with blanking the disks and burning them again you soon find it
> takes a long time to do backups, especially if you have to filter
> through files so you only get the ones you want.

True!

> The best solution I've ever come across, and this is what is done in
> schools, is to have a file server. It doesn't matter whether you
> upgrade the OS on your computer, or whether it dies, your important
> files are stored on the backup server which hopefully has RAID 1 with
> two or better yet, three drives.

Oh..., Nathan. That sounds terrific. I do happen to have this older computer
here. Doesn't have an ethernet card, but I learned a lot on it, after the
Lord provided it in 1999. I was going to leave Win98 on it so I could
continue to use my Brothers Keeper for my genealogy database.

Thing is, now I have to learn what a RAID 1 is and how I would connect the
computers. It's sitting an inch from my main computer, but how would you
connect them?

The one I'm using now (also a gift from the Lord last year) has two hard
drives. The first, 10 GB has Windows on it, but I can only reach down into it
to fetch files from within Mandrake as the Explorer.exe file is broken or
located on a bad spot. I tried copying that file from the old computer last
night, but "I wasn't allowed..." to replace the broken one. I'm going to
delete the whole thing after I've finished backing up my files, and then I
can install another Linux program to try out, or Win98 again. I had thought
of saving a partition for backup storage.

Is that considered good enough?

> The server alternative is expensive, but if you happen to get an older
> computer you don't think is good for much and you have some spare hard
> drives around, consider putting a light Linux distribution on it.
> After that you just need to set up your /etc/hosts.allow and
> /etc/hosts.deny files to block anything that isn't coming from inside
> the network, then just disable unnecessary services ("daemons") and
> you're set. Setting up network servers should be fairly
> straightforward with a distribution like SUSE which was designed with
> that kind of thing in mind.

Ohmm. Sounds so simple. You're sure it's that easy? I do have a SuSE live CD
I'd burned, but I've considered getting the full works. Would it work with
Mandrake 9.1?

> Anyway its just an idea.

Thanks, Nathan. It's an idea worth considering!

--

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth Marlene Friesen

When you meet Ruthe and her Friend -
You've got Friends! http://www.Ruthes-SecretRoses.com
                       \o/
P.S. Buy it & it's on its way to you within 48 hours!
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/RSR.html
or as e-book to download right away -
http://Ruthes-SecretRoses.com/rsr/Intro.html