[CS-FSLUG] "Final" answer from PowerNotebooks.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun Jun 26 12:17:26 CDT 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 2:03 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> A lot of vendors don't know how to sell Linux systems nor do they even
> try. Have you ever gone to a store and had a salesperson walk you over
> to a Linux system, confidently show you its features and how some
> parts of it works, tell you about its advantages and then offer you a
> complimentary support packages from the store just like they would
> offer you if you were purchasing something running Windows or Mac OS?
>
> Didn't think so.

'Never known of it, and it's IGNORANCE that precludes it from happening.

[snip]

> the computer and on the shelves. Perhaps Mandrake and SUSE should
> invest in having such books written for them just like Linspire did,
> not thick manuals, but instruction books like one might read to learn
> electronics or how to program.

Yes........VERY doable, IMHO.

> Anyway, that's not likley to happen in big stores. Its more likely
> that the little guy's are going to take this big step first and that
> still won't be for quite a while. I'm surprised that despite being

Big stores like BestBuy don't pay commission, nor do they pay decent wages, so
the turnover is high and those they do hire don't have the experience they
should have to advice the public. A "Mom & Pop" type store could do
it.....easily.

> this aware of the truth about MS and how the customer doesn't really
> own their copy of Windows, and has to go through all sorts of checks
> as if they were criminals just to find out that after all that they
> still have to worry about DRM, Palladium and TCPA, people still use MS
> and defend it as if it was still a good option. After reading that MS
> Office 2000 could only be [re]installed so many times before you would
> have to buy a new copy, I had gotten the message. I reinstall a lot
> simply because Windows XP keeps breaking, I wonder how many more times
> I've got to go before it won't work any more,  I also wouldn't be
> surprised if it waited until I had removed my old Windows partition
> during the new instllation process before telling me that it won't
> reinstall.

MickySoft is doomed, I think, if for no other reason(s), in that Gates &
Ballmer are BOTH "super sized" ego maniacs and surround themselves with same
at M$. They refuse to support Linux, support GNU and totally OPEN standards,
and will ONLY continue to be devious in ALL discourse, licenses, and behind
closed doors meeting with gov'ts and others to keep themselves as a monopoly.
Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. ;)

Fred

to you, at this time.