[CS-FSLUG] NI: Microsoft looks to extinguish LAMP

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jun 15 22:01:33 CDT 2005

"Microsoft engineers have toiled for years to make the company's software
industrial strength and worthy of large corporations' dollars.

 Now the software giant faces a different challenge: fending off open-source
alternatives that are good enough for most jobs.

 At Microsoft's TechEd customer conference last week, executives spelled out
the company's lineup to combat these cut-rate incursions onto its turf.
In particular, the company is focused on improving its alternatives to the
so-called LAMP stack, the combination of the Linux operating system, Apache
Web server, MySQL database, and scripting languages PHP, Perl or Python.
 Microsoft's anti-LAMP strategy is to heap features into its low-end products
and to build a comprehensive set of tools--spanning development to
management--in the hopes of making Windows Server more attractive."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746549.html?tag=nl.e589

to you, at this time.