[CS-FSLUG] NI: SOLARIS 10, THE CINDERELLA OS?

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:20:39 CDT 2005

Unfortunately, it looks like licensing issues may hamper
cross-pollination - at least to some degree.

From the article:
"Hein described Sun's CDDL license as "similar to the Mozilla Public
License," in that when developers make changes to the code, they must
then give the changes back to Sun.

"Sun has received a lot of flak from the community for not going the
GPL [General Public License] route," Hein said. "With CDDL you are not
going to see any cross-pollination of Linux and Solaris … there are
lots of things under OpenSolaris that Sun does not have the right to
release, so they really could not release the OS as GPL." "

David