[CS-FSLUG] The new enlightenment

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Tue Jun 14 10:25:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:04:52 +0100
'Mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am totally with you on that one.
> Every now and then my Debian/Fluxbox laptop starts playing up
> and I look over and see my friends OSX powerbook and sigh.
> Its just all so shiny and everything fits nicely together on the screen.
> All the windows and apps sit together nicely and the desktop is seamless.
>
> But then I suddenly remember the control I have over everything I am
> running, how I can tinker away with settings whenever I want and yes it
> may not look as good and it does irritate me that some apps use GTK and
> other GTK2 and everything doesn't all sit nicely together.
>
> But again when I turn my laptop on and it takes less then a minute to
> load my desktop,
> that I have keyboard shortcuts to everything I want to run, and that I
> have the power of
> a shell whenever I want. I slip into a sense of peace that I have
> built this machine to do
> what I want, when I want and with what is simple and just works.
>
> I have started moving further and further away from bells and whistles
> and back to
> the UNIX philosophy of good tools.
> To the point that I am starting to get into Emacs properly and will
> probably start using it for my mail and news. I like the keyboard
> shortcuts and I still love white text on a black terminal window.
> It is functional ridiculously quick and tends to give you only what
> you really need.
>
> Throw those mice away and start using your fingers again. joy !
>
> 'mash

It's funny to see this discussion.  I frankly don't care much about the
aesthetics.  To me, Windows XP looks nice - childish (looks like Candy Land
out of the box), but very nice.  Still, what good is looks if the software
is full of holes anyway?  O.k., Mac isn't as full of holes as Windows.
As long as Enlightenment allows me to run apps, A/V, and so forth, what else
should it do?

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist