[CS-FSLUG] UPS Joule Ratings

Brian Derr bderr at myrealbox.com
Thu Jun 9 09:30:24 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 14:38 -0500, Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>      I wanted to upgrade my surge protector, so I went to Costco. As
> usual, I came out with something different... an APC Back-UPS NS
> 1050. I couldn't find the joule rating, however, so I contacted APC
> and they said it is only 455. Does anyone know if there is a reason
> why such a low rating would be more acceptable on a UPS than a normal
> surge protector? Should I take it back? I was initially shooting for
> a 3,000 joule surge protector.

Just guessing here, but my thought is that it doesn't need much surge
protection because it will just switch to battery power which is more
regulated that what is happening on your line.  Any thoughts?

PS I love Costco!
--
Brian

The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after
him.  -- Proverbs 20:7