[CS-FSLUG] NI: Internet Jungle Chase - Analysis

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Jun 4 07:56:50 CDT 2005

If we were to sit down and plan the Internet today, it would be a
completely different beast than what has arisen over the decades. Most
of the assumptions are completely different -- not just contrary, but
running on a different track altogether. Now, with calls for
retro-fitting the Net for addressing modern political concerns, there is
sure to be a battle of resistance from those who like things as they
are, more or less.

When researching spam, I learned that with such a thorough
decentralization of control, determined and well-equipped spammers would
never be stopped. There are too many ways to hide. When the anti-spam
activists began using the same techniques, some cried "foul!" Perhaps
I'm a complete fool, but I prefer the untamed jungle aspect. For the
most part, my use of the Net is not hindered by such a state of affairs.
Things may well change, but until they do, I'm content. The trade-offs
are still in my favor.

Articles like this may have all sorts of hidden motives, but I suspect
at least one of the obvious motives is to tame the jungle:

   http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42737

The article discusses the hunt for those behind the publication of
executions on the Web committed by Muslim terrorists. The shell game of
who owns what, whom is responsible, etc. is not entirely news to someone
who has tried -- or observed efforts -- to chase down spammers. Still, I
prefer to accept the possibility of such activity, as it also favors
other oppressed groups having their voice, too.

--
Ed Hurst