[CS-FSLUG] Re: Laptops and iBooks

Dommy E. Hamid d-e-x at spitfire.net
Fri Jul 29 06:34:05 CDT 2005

Two brands for Linux compatible laptops.

Acer and HP.

In Indonesia, I have seen Acer lower end laptops preloaded with Linux
(in order to save cost) in just about every computer mall. That's
basically tells you about the Linux compatibility for those types of
laptops. While I have not seen a Linux preloaded HP laptops, from what I
read in Linux bulletin boards, they are one of the more compatible ones.
I think HP also sells laptops preloaded with either custom-built Ubuntu
or Suse (not sure its availability in the US though).

Now, Acers are cheap, so the quality may not be as good as say, IBM. HPs
are more expensive but I don't know its quality either. So, pick which
one has the best warranty and support and go for it :)

Dommy

PS: As an additional notes, I have also seen many local laptops brand
with Linux preloaded. Most of them use Linspire. If they dare preload
Linux, I have to say that almost every important hardware should be
supported. It may have worse battery life than Windows, but as long as
you bring the power brick along, you should have no problem :)