[CS-FSLUG] Opinions Needed - Dell Latitude C600

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:20:54 CDT 2005

On 7/28/05, JD Runyan <Lists at runyanrants.net> wrote:
> Don Parris wrote:
> > I can get a Dell Latitude C600 for $400 (for our ministry).  It's a
> > 1GHz Pentium with 20GB HDD/256MB RAM, and a CD-ROM drive.  No OS,
> > which is perfect for me, anyway.  Magazine reviews I've seen suggest
> > it's a decent laptop.  One purchaser review says the battery has a
> > short lifespan, contrary to the reviews.  Could be a bad battery for
> > that system.  Any input gang?
> >
> > Don
> I had a C600 and have a C640 now. It is a great laptop. It works well
> with Linux and with Win2K. It can also load two batteries at the same
> time. The second battery fits in the accessory bay. I recommend having
> two. With two I can last about 3-4.5 hours on WiFi network. I have
> lasted 6-8 hours when not using a network.
>
> I haven't done the research, but $400 sounds steep for something that
> age, since you can get some new ones for very little over that price.

The price actually beats what I can find locally.  A local shop
carrying a used Dell CPX (55MHz/128MB/9GB/CD) had a deal at $460.  It
was supposed to be closer to $500.  As I've looked around, I've not
seen anything that matches that price for a similar configuration.  I
know that new laptops aren't that much more, but the goal here is to
get something that will do for now.  If money were no object, I'd buy
from Emperor.  Of course, for just $xxx more, I can get a DVD/CDRW
drive.  It's always like that.

I'm glad to hear about your good experience with the C600.  I just
heard about a recent offer from Dell that puts new ones on the table
for about $500.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist