[CS-FSLUG] NI: Why Websense's FUD doesn't add up

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jul 22 21:43:37 CDT 2005

Proof of WebSense's nonsense

"Earlier this week, WebSense announced as fact that American businesses were
losing more than $178 billion annually due to Internet misuse by employees
when they're supposed to be working. WebSense came up with that number on its
own and it's supposed to scare you into buying solutions that crackdown on
employee usage of the Internet -- solutions that WebSense sells. After I
asked in response whether it makes more sense to hold employees accountable
for measurable performance goals rather than trying to spy on their Internet
usage and accuse them of slacking off on the job ("cyberslacking"), one ZDNet
reader asked for a breakdown of WebSense's calculation. If you think a vendor
trying to make news with its own research is a little suspect, just wait
until you see how WebSense arrived at the clearly deceptive $178B figure."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1626&tag=nl.e539

to you, at this time.