[CS-FSLUG] Do you know about SFD2005.org? You should!

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 19:41:00 CDT 2005

On 7/20/05, Steve Wetzel <steve.wetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oi!
>
> I will be at O'Reilly's  OSCON
> (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/) conference in August where
> 2,000 attendees will receive a copy of TheOpenCD -
> (http://www.theopencd.org/) which FreeSoftwareeeMagazine
> (www.freesoftwaremagazine.com) has sponsored this CD distribution.
> Don, and others on the list who may know me for selling embedded Linux
> Thin Clients... well I am now working for FSM as Dir. of Marketing and
> Sales :P

BTW, y'all, I have found FSM to be quite a solid mag.  Tony Mobily is
doing a superb job down under.  They have pretty high standards on the
content, and offer how-tos, philosophical issues, and even review type
articles.  Naturally, I'm attracted to the philosophical discussions.
:-)

> FSM, my local LUG, LugRadio and TheOpenCD (TOCD) are all helping to
> support SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY this year on Sept. 10th
> (www.softwarefreedomday.org) I hope you and others on this list have
> considered getting plugged into this one day global event! People who
> form teams as I have will get free CDs from the Ubuntu Foundation for
> the event. My teams wiki:
> http://maitri.ubuntu.com/softwarefreedomday/wiki/index.php/Cincinnati
>
> In fact the open CD is based on the very latest Ubuntu, and I have
> seen it, and it is great for these two reasons:
> 1) Its a LIVE bootable CD for people to check out Linux - Ubuntu style.
> 2) Any windows user can take the CD and plop it into their CD tray
> while their system is running, and they will get a splash screen that
> explains FOSS, and gives them resources, (All of FSM's magazines to
> date are on there in pdf format) But what is truly amazing, is that
> they can check out FOSS software, and choose to install it on their
> systems (at least the win32 versions)
>
> I may have some of these CDs left over for the seminar Don is going
> to, and if other people would like to distribute them at their LUGs
> (we all are in local LUGs aren't we? ;)

I'm in CharLUG!  Woohoooo!  One of the pastors on the L4C list is the
president of his LUG.

> But here is the link for those of you who would like to download the
> ISO, and check it out. Even if you don't distribute as part of
> SoftwareFreedomDay 2005, or through your local LUG, then why not
> others at your church who can't handle the idea of a LIVE CD, but
> could run the browser based splash screen that launches and introduces
> them to FOSS?
>
> BTW... I have no connection to any of the other groups mentioned
> except for the fact that I want to promote the other excellent groups
> out there spreading the word about the benefits of FOSS like Don has
> done in PitP.
>
> -Stephen Wetzel

Cheers!
--