[CS-FSLUG] BSD?

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 18 09:25:37 CDT 2005

At 01:16 AM 7/18/05, Christopher Rose wrote:
>Hey, what is a good BSD distribution that I can try? I would like
>something that will fit onto a 2559.8 MB hard drive and preferably
>something that can be installed via floppy. If that won't work, can anyone
>suggest a way to set up a minimimal FreeBSD setup with X? Naturally I'd
>like to continue to use my ethernet connection via Qwest. Any help and or
>suggestions are appreciated.

Packages required for X will not fit on a floppy!  Therefore, I guess you
mean boot from floppy, then install from something else (cdrom, ftp,
etc)?  OpenBSD will do this - minimal install includes option for X.  Once
you are up and running with minimal X, you can install the 30+ packages
required to install KDE or GNOME (minimal X does not have either of
these).  Here's a basic install I did recently without X, but with about
10M of packages:

$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a      126M   63.1M   56.3M    53%    /
/dev/wd0d      251M    4.0K    239M     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0e      503M    233M    245M    49%    /usr
/dev/wd0f      126M    3.4M    116M     3%    /home
/dev/wd0g      503M    8.4M    469M     2%    /var

It's a fully functional server with all local content on another partition
not listed here.

The X install tar files are about 60M.
         ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.7/i386/
I've got to do another install later this month, if you want to know what
basic install with X, I could do it twice - once with X, then again without
it.  Let me know if you want the numbers.  OpenBSD does not have ISO images
available or download, but it's easy enough to "roll your own".  Boot from
floppy or cdrom, then install the rest from cdrom.