[CS-FSLUG] NI: Novell bridges the OS gap | InfoWorld | Review | 2005-07-11 | By P.J. Connolly

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jul 13 14:24:56 CDT 2005

"Ultimately, style will prove the differentiator between one Linux and the
others, and that's where Novell holds a significant lead. OES is the first
Linux-based platform that I've found to fit very well into an existing IT
infrastructure, not just as an oddity but as a core component. Sure, there
are less-expensive Linux implementations available, but what one gets from
those is generally a bunch of software "lumps" that share only installation
media.

Instead, Novell delivers with OES a coherent, enterprise-ready Linux that ties
easily into existing infrastructure without requiring significant reworking
of live systems.

OES is truly a unique animal. By giving customers a chance to combine the
stability and performance of NetWare and the application friendliness of
Linux, Novell has found a way to move customers into a more sustainable
computing environment without forcing wrenching change that would drive some
accounts into the arms of competing vendors. OES 1.0 has some rough spots,
but it's hardly a kludge. When Novell adds support for advanced 64-bit
hardware -- and I'm expecting that announcement any day now -- OES will be a
killer operating system. Not as pretty as Mac OS X, not as well-marketed as
Solaris, but a platform with nothing but growth ahead of it."

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/11/28TCoes_1.html?source=NLC-OS2005-07-13

to you, at this time.