[CS-FSLUG] NI: Apache falls victim to OASIS patent shelter

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jul 12 09:36:54 CDT 2005

"OASIS offers a very patent-friendly environment, making it the choice of
vendors who want to get a specification out into the market without being
bound to commonly accepted rules of openness. But, specifications bearing the
OASIS imprimatur can end up with unbearable encumbrances that can come back
later to haunt those who adopted them under the false pretense that they were
as open as standards from other organizations. Case in point: The Apache
Foundation has hit a roadblock in implementing WS-Security."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1591&tag=nl.e539

to you, at this time.