[CS-FSLUG] Prayer request

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:29:22 CDT 2005

On 7/7/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got an interesting prayer request, if you read my blog you'll
> have a little more background to this
> http://celerate.blogspot.com/2005/07/cold-day-in-staples.html
>
> I've accidentally offended an anti-social coworker who I found out has
> a very short temper, how he even made it past the three month
> probation period all new employees have to go through is beyond me
> with a temper like his. Anyway this character is way over the top with
> a lot of things and threatened me with violence because of something
> he misunderstood, he isn't willing to listen to anything I have to
> say, in fact in the lunch room when he first made his threats he was
> ready to get into a brawl in front of the other employees. Fortunately
> for me someone made an excuse for me to leave the room, although for
> many of these people watching fights is a spectator sport and the only
> reason I did get out of there was because the person who made the
> excuse for me was also responsible for me for the day.
>
> I've just about had it with my job at Staples. It's more complicated
> than most stores because many of the local businesses go there to get
> their supplies and the computers and software are very outdated, that
> mixed with over 10 different methods of payment I have to remember how
> to handle, how to do exchanges and returns, and now this guy who's on
> the verge of trying to mount my head on his wall, I'm finding the job
> very undesirable.
>
> Flip a coin and decide whether you want to pray that things get easier
> or that I get fired, either one is acceptable but my favourite is not
> having to spend another day there. I can think of more humane kinds of
> torture than my job, like having my toe nails pulled out, I can see
> why so many people I know quit working at Staples before too long.
>
> I would have quit by now but the managers are nice, I've already
> brought that up once but its not easy because they try so hard to talk
> me out of it and the paycheck is still tempting. It may be a few more
> days at least before I decide to brave the managers again, right now
> I'm so upset with what happened at lunch time today that I don't think
> I could keep a straight face. If I get fired or laid off now it would
> make things much easier.
>
> Thanks.

I'm chiming in a bit late, and I certainly don't envy you.  I remember
one Plant Manager down in South Carolina who was my customer and
seemingly worst nightmare.  He would come after me with all kinds of
tricks - trying to get past me as I guarded the main gate.  I was the
security supervisor.  He seemed so confounded mean spirited.  I
finally asked my boss to transfer me back to my old site.

He did, but only for a little while.  It turns out the PM wanted me
back up there - he loved me to death!  He respected me because I would
go toe to toe with him, while the managers who worked under him were
all "yes-sir" people.  Your situation sounds quite different.  Still,
you just never know the impact you have on people, or what's really
going through their minds.  I went back to the chemical plant and
continued to tangle with the PM - this time it was more fun because I
realized what was at stake.

This may not help you much, but you might want to keep it in the back
of your head somewhere.  It's always good to have some understanding
of the person.

Blessings,
Don
--