[CS-FSLUG] New computer

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Jul 6 22:26:57 CDT 2005

Dommy E. Hamid wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> I'm having a bit of a dilemma about which direction to take: the new
>> generation- pci express, sata or stay with the old cheaper stuff.
>>
>> Here is what I was thinking about for the *new generation*:
>>
>> Case: Raidmax Cobra (Blue)
>> Mobo: Gigabyte GA K8n Ultra-9
>> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939
>> Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR2
>> Graphics Card: Gigabyte PCX5300 128MB DDR TV/DVI
>> Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 7200 SATA
>> DVD: LG
>> DVD Burner: LG
>> Mouse: Logitech Pilot Optical (PS2 or usb)
>> Keyboard: Generic
>> Speakers: Generic
>> No floppy
>>
>> I could maybe swap the Mobo for a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>>
>> Do I invest some extra money as in the above or stick with the *old*
>> stuff?
>>
>> BTW. What is the differenc between the Nvidia 3 and 4 chipsets (mobo)?
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>
> Looks good, just a few suggestions
>
> 1. Make sure the CPU is Venice Core

How do I find out?

> 2. Upgrade the Power Supply to something other than generic (or
> something that comes from the Case). Preferably something that is True
> Power and has PFC. Antec, Enermax, and Thermaltake are good brands.
> Believe me, your components will thank you. You may as well invest some
> money in a UPS too.

Maybe in the future when I have some more money :-(

> 3. I prefer Seagate to WD. Better quality.
>
> 4. I don't like LG optical drives. Especially DVD Burner. Lite-on and
> BenQ are good brands.
>
> 5. Definitely need more RAM. 1 gig is cheap now.

As above.

> 6. Do you game? If you do, you may as well go to NVidia 6600 GT.
>
> Anyway, the difference between NForce 3 and NForce 4 is PCI-X Support I
> believe.

I found this:
http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/526/

> ---

Thanks to both of you (Fred included).
I will go to our local shop and see what their price is like for the rig.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com