[CS-FSLUG] Motherboards [Was:SUSE 9.3 installation

Jerry VanBrimmer jevb at runbox.com
Tue Jul 5 19:22:20 CDT 2005

comments]

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 07:00:51PM -0400, Brian Derr wrote:

> My name isn't Fred but I'll chime in anyway.  I've had very bad luck
> with ASUS boards.  Working in a PC repair shop we had come across many
> PCs that had problems we couldn't narrow down until we switched
> motherboards and voila, fixed!
>
> The best boards I have worked with are MSI and Abit.  I haven't tried
> Soyo or whatever it is called but I hear they are good boards as well.
> --
> Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. Glad to know that, because I recently bought
a SOYO KT880 Drogon2 v2, and I am less than pleased with it. First, the
IDE 1 & 2 connectors are right where one of the mounting screws
normally go. Not realizing that, when I first put the board in, the
IDE2 port wouldn't work because it was shorting out on the unused metal
standoff, so I had no CD access. I finally got that fixed, with a good
helping of electrical tape. At the same time that I put in this board,
I also put in a new Arctic Cooling CPU cooler on the Athlon CPU. Well, the
SOYO board doen't like it. At boot up, it would start to boot up, then
after about one second shut down, then come back on. Sometimes it would
continue to boot up, sometimes not. After I put the old AMD ccooler
back on, those boot up problems went away. I think it was because the
Arctic Cooling cooler wasn't spinning up fast enough for the board, and
there's no way in the BIOS to bypass the CPU cooler rpm speed check.
So, finally I have this board running smoothly, albeit I have no faith
in it's reliability. I would like to replace it, and I was considering
an ASUS board, hence the reason for my questions.

Cheers,
Jerry

--
The KING is coming!..................Rev. 1:7
The bottom line......................John 3:3-7