[CS-FSLUG] SUSE 9.3 installation comments

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jul 5 14:27:01 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 2:54 pm, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 02:39 PM 7/5/05, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >On Tuesday 05 July 2005 1:11 pm, Frank Bax wrote:
> > > I'm a bit concerned that OpenOffice 2.0 beta is on the distro?  Did I
> > > miss an option to stick with production versions only?  How much other
> > > beta software did I install?  We've been complaining for a long time
> > > that M$ sells beta software; apparently this Linux distro is no better.
> >
> >WRONG!! 2.0 is solid......if it does crash, it WILL recover......MickySoft
> >WON'T do that 9 out of 10 times.
>
> I didn't say it was unstable, I said it was beta; therefore SUSE 9.3, as a
> "package" of software offerings must be considered beta and not usable in a
> production environment.  I'll still use it at home, but will have to wait
> before I suggest it for an office rollout.  I was hoping to use it to
> upgrade some MDK91 systems at work.

By my recommendation, a local office has had it on 30+ workstations WITH SUSE
9.3 for over 2 months, and NO problems..........VERY heavy use. It DOES pass
the "muster" Frank. I don't care if it's beta......it's at this point better
than MickySoft.

> BTW:  I also like that Firefox is already there!  We have some web-based
> apps that don't work in Konqueror (OK in Mozilla and Firefox, though).  I
> don't understand why Konqueror treats pulldowns like text boxes when you
> try to select with keyboard -yuch!

'Next Konq. WILL have a number of changes from what I understand.

Fred

to you, at this time.