[CS-FSLUG] Consulting advice

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Fri Jul 1 00:09:00 CDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:05:02 -0500
Aaron Lehmann <lehmanap at lehmanap.dyndns.org> wrote:

> All--
>
> I'm a freelance programmer with a Bachelors degree, experience in
> Python, PHP, SQL and and web programming, as well as Java, C, and C++.
> I'm trying to determine what is a fair houly rate, and also, what is the
> going rate in California.  The odds are good that I will be
> telecommuting, and I want to get what moneys I can.  Does anyone have
> any experience in this?  Any advice?
>
> Aaron Lehmann

I don't know if it would be useful, but Debian has a listing of Debian
consultants, along with their rates.  It's sys admin, as opposed to
development, but it might be kind of useful.  Look for the Debian
consultants listing on the Debian website.

I would assume that you're familiar with the issue Nathan raised - the code
you write generally belongs to your employer, unless otherwise stated.  Do
make sure that you can agree to the terms of any contracts offered.  Sorry I
wasn't more helpful, but I do wish you all the best.  The Lord be with you!

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/