[CS-FSLUG] Multimedia support in SUSE 9.2

Don Parris webdev at matheteuo.org
Fri Jan 21 09:14:18 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:25:17 -0600
"N. Thompson" <n.thomp at sasktel.net> wrote:

> I've encountered something rather disheartening about SUSE Linux 9.2, it
> works nice and fast but kaffeine (the video player) doesn't play back any
> media formats I've tried that actually have a video, it doesn't go far
> beyond a few simple formats. There is also an issue with amaroK in which
> some streaming media such as mp3s from one of the internet radio stations
> I listen to doesn't play but rather simply pops up a download dialog which
> tries to download the stream data to a temporary file instead of playing
> it and that goes on infinitely until I click the cancel button but I never
> get any music out of it.
>
> For the most part Juk works and I can listen to streaming music with
> kaffeine but I hate having things that don't work in the operating systems
> I use, I filled out an information request form on the SUSE web site where
> I was asking them whether or not these issues would also be present in the
>
> professional edition but I'm not likely to get an answer for another 16
> hours at least and I'm impatient.

I recall on the SUSE lists a discussion about having to download the codecs
for DVDs when 9.2 first came out.  If Fred is not able to help you here, I
would really recommend the SUSE lists - there's one specifically for
multi-media as well.  Multimedia ain't really my ballgame, though I do use
it some.

--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/