[CS-FSLUG] Rhetoric vs actions in regard to oil shortages, present and future.

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Jan 29 22:19:48 CST 2005

From a friend of mine.........VERY alarming, yet accurate, I think.

Fred
_________________________

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/012505_ftw_maps_summary.shtml

"Farming is just a way of using land to convert OIL into
FOOD" -- Dr. Bartlett
-- , Forgotten Fundamentals of the Energy Crisis

I was teaching at Clarks, NE when the first version of Dr.
Bartlett's paper which was presented at an energy
conference at the University of Missouri at Rolla in
October 1976, where it appears in the Proceedings of the
Conference.  I obtained a copy of it in November and
immediately realized its significance.  I have been
following the topic of energy consumption every since.  To
truely appreciate the oil shortage problem you should read
the following URL:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/symposium/bartlett/bartlett.html

The URL at the top of this email describes recent behavior
of oil companies and governments in relation to oil
discoveries and production... these activities have, for
all practical purposes,  ceased.  This will lead to
$200/bbl oil and $7/gal for gasoline within a few years.
You may not have realized it but we literally eat oil.  When
you eat a slice of bread the energy you get from it is only
1/10th the energy in oil it took to get that slice to your
breakfast table.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/100303_eating_oil.html

"What follows is most certainly the single most frightening
article I have ever read and certainly the most alarming
piece that FTW has ever published. Even as we have seen
CNN, Britain's Independent and Jane's Defence Weekly
acknowledge the reality of Peak Oil and Gas within the last
week, acknowledging that world oil and gas reserves are as
much as 80% less than predicted, we are also seeing how
little real thinking has been devoted to the host of crises
certain to follow; at least in terms of publicly accessible
thinking.
In the United States, 400 gallons of oil equivalents are
expended annually to feed each American (as of data
provided in 1994)
In their refined study, Giampietro and Pimentel found that
10 kcal of exosomatic energy are required to produce 1 kcal
of food delivered to the consumer in the U.S. food system.
This includes packaging and all delivery expenses, but
excludes household cooking).20 The U.S. food system
consumes ten times more energy than it produces in food
energy. This disparity is made possible by nonrenewable
fossil fuel stocks.

Assuming a figure of 2,500 kcal per capita for the daily
diet in the United States, the 10/1 ratio translates into a
cost of 35,000 kcal of exosomatic energy per capita each
day. However, considering that the average return on one
hour of endosomatic labor in the U.S. is about 100,000 kcal
of exosomatic energy, the flow of exosomatic energy
required to supply the daily diet is achieved in only 20
minutes of labor in our current system. Unfortunately, if
you remove fossil fuels from the equation, the daily diet
will require 111 hours of endosomatic labor per capita;
that is, the current U.S. daily diet would require nearly
three weeks of labor per capita to produce.

Quite plainly, as fossil fuel production begins to decline
within the next decade, there will be less energy available
for the production of food."

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."