[CS-FSLUG] STANDING BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 28 23:29:46 CST 2005

Date: January 27, 2005
From: Jerry Falwell

STANDING BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT

My dear friend Mathew Staver, president and general counsel for the Orlando,
Fla.-based Liberty Counsel, will stand before the U.S. Supreme Court to
defend the posting of the Ten Commandments in the public square.  This is a
daunting task, but I have great faith in Mat's abilities and have confidence
that God has raised up this man to take on this crucial undertaking.

The High Court agreed last October to take on the high-profile issue of
whether the display of the Ten Commandments in the public square is
constitutionally protected.  Two lower court rulings reached conflicting
views on displays of the biblical tenets on public buildings.

Mr. Staver will appear before the nine justices at the Court on March 2.  He
says this court case, McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky, is one of the most
important church-state cases of the last half-century.  I agree.  The Court's
ruling will be consequential in determining the future of public religious
historical artifacts throughout the nation.

Mr. Staver, who is also chairman of the Liberty University School of Law and a
member of the Liberty University Board of Trustees, and his legal team are
spending a great deal of time preparing for his appearance at the Court.  He
says he has been bolstered by crucial support from the U.S. Attorney
General's office and 26 states that have filed amicus briefs in support of
Liberty Counsel's position.

The opposition is eager to dispel the Ten Commandments from the American
public square.  This effort is being led by the American Civil Liberties
Union, the American Humanist Association, Internet Infidels, Covenant of
Unitarian Universalist Pagans and Atheist Alliance International.

In addition, the American Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Committee,
Baptist Joint Committee and the Interfaith Alliance Foundation have filed a
friend-of the court brief, supporting a 2003 appeals court ruling that found
a public display of the Commandments on state government property a violation
of the Establishment Clause.

These well-funded groups are uncompromising in their loathing of the public
display of the Ten Commandments.  If the Court were to rule in their favor,
the momentum to eradicate all vestiges of religion from the culture would be
dramatically quickened.
What Can You Do?

I want to ask readers to join me in prayerfully supporting Mathew Staver and
Liberty Counsel in their battle to protect the Ten Commandments.  I want
every reader to place Mat's name at the top of their prayer lists.  We need
to daily uphold this man as he seeks to legally confirm that the Ten
Commandments are a centerpiece of American law and culture.

In fact, readers may join the "Defend the Ten" coalition at the Liberty
Counsel website: http://www.lc.org

Furthermore, I ask that every pastor reading this column urge their
constituencies to uphold Mat Staver and Liberty Counsel in their daily
prayers.  I hope that organized prayer meetings will break out across this
nation to sustain this critical effort to protect the Commandments.

Finally, I would urge readers to make a donation to Liberty Counsel to help
subsidize this costly battle.  Liberty Counsel is incurring many expenses.
During the final preparation and argument phase of the case, the team will be
shuttling to a number of different locations, which means many additional
transportation and housing costs.

For those who send a $100 donation to Liberty Counsel, Mat will send a copy of
his booklet, "The Ten Commandments in American Law and Government," which he
used to help prepare for his Supreme Court argument.  He will also send a
beautifully matted presentation of the Ten Commandments, suitable for
framing, to display in your home or office.

"Most people are unaware of the enormous impact the Ten Commandments have had
on our culture," he says.  In this booklet, you can read the extent to which
the Original Colonies and our Founding Fathers relied on the Ten
Commandments.  And you'll see that each Commandment played a significant role
in the formation of our system of law and government.  Type "Send booklet" in
the comment box on Liberty Counsel's (click here: donation page), or call
800-671-1776 to make a tax-deductible donation.

I have already contributed to this legal effort and I hope that thousands of
others will join with me.  The battle lines have been drawn and we must
support Mat Staver - just as the men raised Moses' arms when he grew weary in
holding high the staff of God in battle - as he valiantly stands on the faith
of our Fathers to defend the Ten Commandments.

ROLLING STONE ACCEPTS BIBLE AD

Last week I noted that Rolling Stone magazine had refused to allow an ad from
the Zondervan Company regarding a new translation of the Bible.

Thankfully, after saying they did not accept advertisements for religious
materials, the publication has reversed that decision, saying it will consent
to the ad.

I congratulate Rolling Stone for making the right decision to allow their
readers to determine for themselves if they want to read the Bible.

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."