[CS-FSLUG] Multimedia support in SUSE 9.2

Jukka jukka.ylonen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:31:35 CST 2005

I just noticed this slashdot article:
"Real Pays For Legal MP3 Playback On Linux"
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/01/24/0628212.shtml?tid=141&tid=155&tid=106

Someone notes in discussion that mp3 patent owner (Thomson)  allows
encoding/decoding for personal use, but wants royalties for commercial
use. This is probably the reason why Novell doesn't include patented
codecs in Suse - everyone can get them for personal use, but company
cannot do it for anyone without paying royalties. Of course that
doesn't explain why they don't include them in their non-free
distributions. Or maybe they do - last version that I bought was 9.1
but I am not sure what it was able to play "out of the box" (I don't
play much my own music/videos, just listen radio and watch tv).

Blessings,
Jukka