[CS-FSLUG] Fw: What's wrong with this picture?

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Jan 22 15:08:42 CST 2005

> I would not be too quick to dismiss these items. I happen to know
> people who ARE card carrying ACLU members and they have affirmed that
> these type of things the ACLU wants to end. Do not forget that the
> ACLU is seeking to change the the Declaration of Independence, the US
> Constitution, and the Bill of Rights to say things that our founding
> fathers never intended. Also, is anyone affiliated with those links
> also affiliated with the ACLU?

	I don't know, but Snopes is reliable, to the best of my knowledge. It
is certainly in the character of the ACLU to do something like this,
but I suspect that they wouldn't actually go for something quite that
blatant. They are crafty enough to know to seek things that won't get a
lot of publicity, usually.

	I'm not sure how the ACLU is going to change the documents mentioned
above. Certainly not the Declaration of Independence... we have no
method for amending it (nor does it actually do anything these days
other than perhaps provide some of the penumbrae that judges are so
into). The constitution is also fairly safe I think, simply because of
the extreme difficulty of ratifying amendments. Which, of course, is
why it would be almost impossible for us to amend it either, say, for a
marriage amendment. Of course, encouraging activist judges to interpret
it the wrong way, again, by dealing with penumbra rather than strict
literalism, you can accomplish much the same.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |