[CS-FSLUG] Now that the Christmas rush is over...

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Jan 21 20:23:30 CST 2005

When I learn to be a writer, I'll be as eloquent as this:

                             RESISTING JESUS

As always in our time, Christmas is provoking dissent from people who
don't want Christian symbols on public property or Christmas carols
sung in public schools. Many Christians find this annoying and
churlish. Some even feel that Christianity is being persecuted.

The columnist Michelle Malkin writes, "We are under attack by
Secularist Grinches Gone Wild." Pat Buchanan goes so far as to speak of
"hate crimes" against Christians.

I disagree. In some parts of the world, from Sudan to China, Christians
really are being persecuted, even murdered. But what is going on in
America's symbolic opposition to Christianity is something different.

The natural reaction to Christ is to reject him. He said so. In fact,
when he was taken to the Temple as an infant, St. Simeon prophesied
that he would be a center of contention. Later he predicted his own
death and told his followers they must expect persecution too.

Such a strong, indeed unique, personality could only meet strong -- and
unique -- resistance. This is why Christians shouldn't resent the
natural resistance of those who refuse to celebrate his birth. In their
way, those people are his witnesses too.

Read it at http://www.sobran.com/columns/2004/041223.shtml

Ed Hurst