[CS-FSLUG] Command line query

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Fri Jan 21 09:59:58 CST 2005

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 10:26 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 20 January 2005 19:59, Brian Derr wrote:
>>
>>>The following is what I've tried.
>>
>>>1.)  wget http://ed.asisaid.com/VnE.jpg | xv -
>>
>>wget -O- http://ed.asisaid.com/VnE.jpg | xv -
>>
>>By default wget writes the file to disk. -O- tells it to write to stdout
>>instead. You might also need -q or something to prevent banners and
>>progress information getting underfoot. Or not.
>

> Is that the standard way to get a program to do that or is it wget
> specific? I knew about - for pulling it from stdin, but don't remember
> seeing that.

I was curious, too, so I looked it up:

excerpt from man wget:
-O file
--output-document=file
The documents will not be written to the appropriate files, but all will
be concatenated together and written to file.  If file already exists,
it will be overwritten.  If the file is -, the documents will be written
to standard output.

sjm