[CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 5 20:48:23 CST 2005

> The truth is: The Bible says the two cities were destroyed because of
> their
> arrogance, refusing to show hospitality to weary, traveling strangers.

	There arrogance had to do with failure to repent from their sins, at
least partially (which are appropriately named after them). Likewise,
consider what they wanted to do to the traveling strangers.

> bullet	The Bible never said that it's a sin for two people of the same
> sex to
> love each other.
>
> The truth is: The Bible includes several examples of same-sex couples
> in
> faithful committed relationships.

	Platonic, brotherly love... that's different than what the author is
trying to suggest. Not to dismiss it. After all, Plato didn't argue
about the importance of this kind of love for nothing. :-)

> bullet	The Bible never said that Jesus Christ condemned homosexuality.
>
> The truth is: Jesus referred to three types of "eunuchs", among them
> those
> "born eunuchs." Was he referring to homosexuals as "born eunuchs"?

	Doubtful.

> bullet	The Bible never said that St. Paul (or any other disciple)
> condemned
> homosexuality.

	Incorrect. The word "homosexual" does not appear in the appropriate
verses in the NIV, IIRC, either... but its quite clear anyway.

> The truth is: The Greek New Testament does not contain the word for
> "homosexual" at all. The English word "homosexual" didn't exist until
> the
> 19th century, so it doesn't appear in the King James version either.

	The etiology of a particular word has no relevance to the issue...
especially since we are talking about something translated. There are
many words without 1:1 equivalents between Koine Greek and modern
English (or any language for that matter).

	(There's a reason why Muslims are so insistent on reading the Qu'ran
in its original tongue... having modern Christians equipped with the
ability to do the same with the Bible would be immensely useful.)

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |