[CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:57:25 CST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:16:01 +0900, Daniel Miller
<sound.the.shofar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Um, let's see.  Googling the provided info provides you with the site
> http://www.mccla.org/Resources/Didntsay/didntsay.htm  which is home of
> the Metropolitan Community Church Los Angeles.  There emphasis  is
> "with a special and affirming outreach to gay, lesbian, bisexual and
> transgender people."  Well all we can do is pray for them.  I really
> dislike seeing people twisting the words of the L0rd to suit there
> desires.
>
> Blessings,
> Daniel
>

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:40:36 -0500, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> > On Wed January 5 2005 6:24 pm, Ralph De Witt wrote:
> > > Found this on the Web and I found this very interesting.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > 'Same pro-queer garbage I've seen before.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > --
Well, I Corinthians 6:9 (KJV) refers to the "effeminate and abusers of
themselves with mankind".  Translating into modern English, this is
homesexuals.  I would say that failure to understand the original
languages - along with the authors' original intent - leads to serious
misinterpretations of the scriptures.

I once saw a Master's Thesis on homosexuality in the Bible, presented
from a homosexual point of view.  The author stated in essence at the
beginning of his thesis, that he was eisegeting, rather than
exegeting, the scriptures.  Using eisegesis, anyone can make any text
mean whatever the heck they want it to mean.  For those among us
without any serious Bible study skills, I am referring to the
"technically correct" process of "drawing out" (exegesis) and the
opposite, fallible process, of "reading into" (eisegesis) a text.

These are some of the worst examples I've ever seen with respect to
biblical interpretation.  Well, one pastor is alleged to have claimed
that women are (or are not) supposed to wear their hair in a bun
because the Bible says something about the "top-Knot come down".  I'll
find the verse and post it later.  I ran across this in a book on
basic Bible Study, "Read the Bible For All Its Worth".
http://www.zondervan.com/interactive/detail.asp?ISBN=0310262453

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist