[CS-FSLUG] Re:comercial Christian Software for Linux

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Tue Jan 4 13:44:11 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 10:47 -0700, monfieth wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 10:00 am, Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
> wrote:
> > 2. Re: Commercial Christian Software for Linux (Josiah Ritchie)
>

> We do other things open souce,why not an open source translation of
> scripture to avoid the commercial aspect.
> Blessings Lee

As has been pointed out, these apparently are PDF docs.  Still, it's one
of the few efforts to provide a commercial package for the GNU/Linux
platform.  Just to clarify, both free and open source software can be
sold commercially.  I can sell CHADDB if I so desire.  The InfoCentral
project is considering offering professional technical support with the
new project, which would surely include a tech support license.

I honestly don't have a problem with something being offered
commercially.  Did you know that RMS originally sold EMACS for a
handsome sum?  I do have problems with something be made proprietary.
Some of us tend to blend & blur these concepts without regard for how
that impacts other people's understanding of the terms.  Perhaps some of
us are confused, and thus I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Don