[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Jan 3 16:42:23 CST 2005

On Mon January 3 2005 4:01 pm, Chris Brault wrote:
> As I mentioned in another e-mail, there are still
> ignorant, plainly technophobic users out there. They
> will attempt to answer their e-mail and ignorantly
> open up attechments.

I'd suggest it isn't ignorance but a case of defiance. I've run into this more
than once.......they simply don't want to comply. I've had someone written up
twice for doing it (written policy violation) before she realized that if
written up a second time, she'd be fired. True, there were other issues with
her. Most often someone who refuses to follow simple directions like DON'T
open file attachments won't follow other direction either.

> The other class are techno-maniacs who spend their
> work day on e-bay and IM chat. They visit warez sites
> and kazaa and the like and the virus come a pourin'
> in. Either way, M$ announces vulnerabilities online.
> Within 10 mins there are a dozen 12 year olds hacking
> away at the vulnerability trying to be the first to
> shut down the internet in thailand or china.

There are way too many bright kids who are NOT disciplined in the home, and
have entirely way too much time on their hands.

> People are the problem, not the OS in this case. An
> inheriently secure OS, like Linux, will prevent the
> unsavvy or unintelligent users from "accidently"
> destroying the system (In San Antonio, we found that 9
> out of 10 times, it was human error bringing a virus
> into the system. I should note that without virus's we
> would have starved to death for lack of business, so I
> probably should thank those 12 year olds in eastern
> europe for their help.)

Hehehehehehe.......yes, MickySoft has made me money as well, but that doesn't
mean I want them to stay in business as they have been.

Fred

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."