[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 14:50:54 CST 2005

Now here is a problem I haven't seen in a while,

> On one side, users do not need two weeks to learn a
> new OS.  But then, I have run
> into users who quit their jobs instead of facing the
> upgrade from Win95 to
> Win98.  I had one panic attack phone call when
> someone clicked on an icon on
> their computer, and as the software was loading it
> flashed up the registration
> page.  It had her supervisor's name on it instead of
> hers.  She thought her
> supervisor had taken control of her computer and so
> she could not work on it.
> And she would not.  I ended up driving 2 hours,
> opening up regedit and putting
> her name in the registration, and then she could get
> back to work.
>
> The short of it?  Never underestimate the
> non-technical side of the switchover.

There are people with a general personality disorder
that predisposes them to painic. I am very, very, very
familiar with that presonality type. Without that
personality type, violence would never enter my mind.
Of course, there shouldn't be an office full of
technophobes or panic striken secretaries left around.
There may be a few around, but those days are waning
fast (amen).

That said, they are still out there; people who need
you to hold their hand through the process. I am more
than glad to do it since I support the cause of FOSS
and upgrading (plus I am alot more patient than others
with those personality types).

Just a thought.

Gabe