[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:37:30 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:05:12PM -0500, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On Mon January 3 2005 12:47 am, Aaron Patrick Lehmann wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > What do they gain?  If KDE is equivalent to Windows, but is going to cost
> > every user 2 man-weeks of time to get used to, this requires substantial
> > benifits to justify.  If they are paid workers, you lose money, if they are
> > volunteers, they will (rightly, in my opinion) feel their time is being
> > wasted.  The only advantage to FOSS is where it is different from
>
> [snip]
>
> 'Doesn't wash......period! The down time associated with using MickySoft is
> VERY costly, and is UNavoidable as long as management insists on using it.
> Further, I disagree with the 2 week learning cuve........it's much less.

What was the point of this message, Fred?  As the person demanding a change, it
fell to you to provide evidence that it doesn't wash.  Someone else did, and I
thank them.

Aaron Lehmann
--
Why do the Democrats complain about Nader losing them Presidential elections?
Republicans don't complain about Libertarians.