[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 00:04:54 CST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:10:53 +0200, Nigel Ridley <nigel at i-amfaithweb.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:10:11 -0500
> Alvin Smith <email at alvinsmith.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 02 January 2005 09:07 pm, Don Parris wrote:
> >
> > > I am now reminded of Jesus telling about the folks
> > > who weren't taking care of their parents because they had "given
> > > their money to God".
> >
> > That is interesting Don.  Could you please direct me to this Scripture
> >
> > reference?  Thanks.
>
> Mark 7:11

Thanks for jumping on that Nigel.  It may not fit very well what I was
addressing.  It actually refers to the fact that many were giving to
the synagogue and using that as an excuse to not take care of their
(elderly) parents.  My thinking is that we're doing something similar
- giving to the church, and pointing to that in defense of our income.
 This could be mere pride, or a defense of greed.

What I really think we're doing is funneling money the wrong way
through the system.  By charging $200, instead of $400 per copy of my
software, I could allow that end user to put their money where they
really need it.  For instance, a business might be able to afford to
pay the secretary more, thus eliminating her need to apply for
supplemental aid down at the local aid office.  A reduced number of
customers at the aid office means fewer people having to help them.
Frequently, the helpers come out of the churches.  Often times the
church is the aid office I speak of.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist