[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Aaron Patrick Lehmann lehmanap at cs.purdue.edu
Sun Jan 2 23:47:38 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 08:53:47PM -0500, Don Parris wrote:
> [...]
> > > implications of choosing between proprietary and free/open source software?
> > >  I believe that stewardship is one issue that drives Christians to FOSS
> > > solutions.  Technology is another.  But if morality was the driving factor
> > > behind the free software movement, then why isn't it a driving factor
> > > behind the adoption of free/open source software?  Is "ease of use" - one
> > > of the biggest objections to FOSS solutions - really more important than
> > > pleasing God, or helping our neighbors, or saving money so that we can help
> > > our neighbors even better?
> >
> > I propose that in a vast array of situations, a closed source alternative is
> > better stewardship nowadays.  More and more, students are taught how to use
> > Microsoft's excellent suite of office tools in high school.  People are growing
> > up with a computer that runs the latest Windows, and even adults are
> > comfortable with it.  This competency is not a result of Microsoft's
> > "intuitive" interface, but of long exposure and hard work.  Be that as it may,
> > from a Church's perspective, its free (as in beer).  The church didn't have to
> > pay to train its office people, they were already trained.  The person who
> > maintains the machine already knows how to do it, as he's been doing it on his
> > home machine for years.  Almost everyone has a copy of Windows 95 or 98 around
> > someware that they aren't using if they have been following the Microsoft
> > upgrade treadmill.  Since they aren't using it, it's not breaking the EULA (I
> > don't think) if they give all copies they have of it to their church.  The
> > church now has free software that its staff is already trained on.  This seems
> > like good stewardship to me.
> >
> I think this sort of thinking is fairly flawed.  Having seen Fred's
> comments about the need for retraining being mostly non-sense, and
> know that users typically require no more than 2 weeks to a month to
> adjust to OpenOffice.org, I can see no compelling argument to continue
> forking out $400 for an office suite, when a FOSS alternative requires
> little transition and is free to download.  Even if you choose to stay
> with MS Windows as your OS, there are FOSS alternatives that can save
> churches serious money.
>
> If the church pays the same in retraining expenses that it would pay
> for proprietary license fees, it has still come out better off in the
> long run.  What's more, a church can do a gradual migration, enabling
> staff to have time to adjust.  That doesn't cost a thing.
>
> Notwithstanding, I think it is nothing short of appalling to suggest
> that retraining is all that necessary.  The only things users _might_
> need to adjust to is the virtual desktop concept, and KDE functions
> almost exactly like the Windows desktop.  The biggest difference users
> will see is that it includes software in prearranged submenus.  O.k.,
> KDE offers a "Run" item on the desktop context menu.  The Start button
> is usually rendered as a logo of some kind.

What do they gain?  If KDE is equivalent to Windows, but is going to cost every
user 2 man-weeks of time to get used to, this requires substantial benifits to
justify.  If they are paid workers, you lose money, if they are volunteers,
they will (rightly, in my opinion) feel their time is being wasted.  The only
advantage to FOSS is where it is different from closed-source software, and
that is where people have to really learn a new way of thinking.  These
diferences will take far more than two weeks to undertand and appreciate.  Eh.
I'm getting to the end of my knowledge, probably.  I've never been a secretary,
and doing anything with word processors, speadsheets, or the like gives me
hives.  Possibley Open Office is better in every way to its closed source
competitor.  However, having programmed with its competitor's libraries, I doubt
it.  Whatever else it has, Microsoft's office suite has some very interesting
innards.

> > These things will not ALWAYS hold true, of course.  If someone wanted to have a
> > ministry somewhere where the market was not flooded with Windows (Africa,
> > South America, parts of of Asia), the OS of choice would definitely be a FOSS
> > one.  After all, since the staff of plants is going to have no experience with
> > computers anyway, they may as well learn a full OS, not a single-user toy.
> >

> > > I believe strongly that the Church - the whole Church - needs to wrestle
> > > with this issue at some point.        I believe there are enough pastors on this
> > > list and throught the other sites of the Christian FOSS community to engage
> > > in a meaningful dialogue.  If nothing else, I hope you'll at least help me
> > > to clarify some of the issues and correct errors in my thinking.
> >
> > As an aside, I don't believe we have the right to help our neighbors.  We have
> > the obligation to do so.  I'm not sure if it can be shown that an obligation to
> > do A translates into a right to do A.
> >
> You are correct of course.  We have an obligation.  I will write the
> White House, and see if GW will accept a proposal to simply our legal
> code a bit.
> <> Love God
> <>Love your neighbor
> Anything that violates these rules is automatically illegal. :)  Just
> being a smart-aleck.
>
> > Aaron Lehmann
> >

> Don
> --
> DC Parris GNU Evangelist
> http://matheteuo.org/
> gnumathetes at gmail.com
> Free software is like God's love -
> you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!

Why do the Democrats complain about Nader losing them Presidential elections?
Republicans don't complain about Libertarians.