[CS-FSLUG] NI: Self defeating desktop Linux strategies

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Wed Aug 31 21:09:38 CDT 2005

On 08/31/2005 07:30:18 PM, Don Parris wrote:
> On 8/31/05, David Aikema <daikema at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That, and one of the major things that I like about open source is
> > choice, and the ability to "scratch an itch" (ie. if you want it,
> > then you can implement it).  Hence, I wouldn't put a lot of weight
> > in his argument.  You might be able to force such changes in an
> > organization that you control (perhaps with a lot of griping), but
> > on a larger scale I just don't see this functioning.

I think the author was lamenting the fact that it doesn't happen. But
it needs to happen. I believe the relevant buzzword was "thinking out
of the box": take a radical, new approach to a problem.

> > David
> >

> His argument does seem to be a bit off-base, but I agree that we
> shouldn't try to imitate Microsoft's every feature.  That would be
> ridiculous.
>
> Don

Imitation is a losing strategy. If you're reacting to your competition,
you've already lost the fight. I've always thought the real killer app
for Linux will be a window manager. Some new interface that radically
changes how we interact with applications. And it's because of this
very behaviour.

Once someone makes the mental break, they're more accepting of other
changes that go along with the new system.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you. -- Matthew 7:7