[CS-FSLUG] Another article...

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 29 11:39:29 CDT 2004

At 12:04 PM 10/29/04, Fred Miller wrote:

>On Friday October 29 2004 11:53 am, Frank Bax wrote:
> > http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/10/28/openbsd_3_6.html
> >
> > Although this three page article starts off with more OpenBSD 3.6 news, it
> > goes into many different topics.
>
>'Finally beginning to catch up to Linux, eh? :) Now, Frank - don't you throw
>that at me. Frank! Put the knife down! :) :)

No knives. I recognise OpenBSD has been very late with SMP support - or
were you referring to something else?  I don't need SMP myself, I only use
OpenBSD for my (small) hosting business.  I like to think I believe in the
"Right OS for the Job", not "Our OS is The Answer, now what is your question?".

I think it's question of priorities - OpenBSD has spent more time on
security audits and licensing issues - one of the articles I read today
mentioned that they have removed/replaced all GPL code from their
kernel.  Now they are catching up on other things like SMP; I think its
only here now because a company stepped forward to fund the development
efforts.

Frank