[CS-FSLUG] Linux Kernel Features

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:51:52 CDT 2004

Is there a good overview of the Linux kernel's features?  The Linux
Kernel HOWTO is not what I'm looking for.  I mean something that might
offer a comparison to the Windows kernel, from a technology
standpoint.  What makes the Linux kernel more or less advanced than
the ntkernel?  The Security report provided by Fred Miller was
helpful, but raised further questions that I have not found answers to
in the standard HOWTO fare.

For instance, isn't the Linux kernel something of a hybrid between
monolithic & modular?  It's not completely modular, but supports
(un)loading modules.  So, what about the NT kernel, which is
definitely monolithic?

Thanks,
Don
--