[CS-FSLUG] Sendmail with multiple domains

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 26 10:43:19 CDT 2004

At 11:03 AM 10/26/04, Doug Coats wrote:
>I have tried a number of things with the same result - Sendmail denies
>relaying for the second domain.  All mail is returned to sender.

Is your machine to relay email to the "real" mail server, or is your
machine the final destination?

Here's what I've got on my server (dozen domains), for hosting email:
1) server is listed as primary MX for domain on nameserver.
2) Make sure your mc file has this line:
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'local-host-names')dnl
3) local-host-names will contain one per domain for which you accept mail.
4) kill -HUP [sendmail pid] required after changes
5) Are you using virtusertable?  It needs this line in mc file:
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash /etc/mail/virtusertable')
6)  After making changes, rebuild the database:
         cd /etc/mail ; cat virtusertable | makemap hash virtusertable

Over the summer, I installed a new server and the old server was acting as
relay to new server while DNS changes propagated:
1) Update MX records - make new server primary, old server secondary.
2) configure new server as above.
3) Entry was removed from local-host-names on old server.
4) Added this line to mc old old server, rebuild cf:
FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')
5) send HUP to sendmail process.

Frank