[CS-FSLUG] QOTW: Mail Clients

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:00:07 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:27:02 -0400, Fred Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> On Monday October 25 2004 10:46 am, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> > Here is the question of the week:
> >
> >         What is your favorite Open Source e-mail client and why?
> >
> > Personally, I'm partial to Evolution. I have not tried Evolution 2.0
> > yet, but I find Evolution 1.4.x much faster than other clients with the
> > large quantities of e-mail I deal with and features such as Virtual
> > Folders makes it easy to managed e-mail. The built in calendaring is
> > excellent too.
> >
> > For many people these days, I've been recommending Thunderbird since it
> > seems to have a bit better design for just e-mail, but Evolution still
> > does some stuff I like that even Thunderbird does not offer (such as
> > the Virtual Folders).

I'm pretty impressed with Sylpheed Claws, but not using it at the
moment.  Probably will once I upgrade to SUSE 9.2.  Of course, I do
like Evolution's weather & news feed feature.  Beats the socks off of
Outlook.  Again, though, I have an antiquated version 'til upgrade
time.  I'm currently using Mozilla, simply because it works - but it
does get me in trouble on some lists, as I have to manually edit the
"Reply-to" address to delete the poster, and add the list address. :(

I've heard Mutt offers the ability to automate that, but I really am a
GUI kind of guy.  I suppose I could create a list user address, and
then use Mutt to retrieve all my list mail from that account.  Hmmm...

--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/
gnumathetes at gmail.com