[CS-FSLUG] This story is worth passing on

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Oct 25 21:16:23 CDT 2004

A Moment of Grace in the Oval Office.

      This story is worth passing on:

      Friends and Family,
      The following is a wonderful, must-read story from
      Bruce Vincent about President Bush.  Bruce is the
      Executive Director of http://www.providerpals.com
      Provider Pals, a nation-wide urban/rural youth exchange
      program based in Montana.

      He was the recipient of a Preserve America Presidential
      Award, presented to him by the President in the White
      House.  At the end of the story is an email I received
      from Bruce verifying the story, giving me permission
      to use it, and a very special update about the story.
      David

      A Moment of Grace in the Oval Office.

      Stepping into the Oval Office, each of us was introduced to the
President and Mrs. Bush.  We shook hands and participated in small talk.
When the President was told that we were from Libby, Montana, I reminded him
that Marc Racicot is our native son and the President offered his warm
thoughts about Governor Racicot.

      He and the First Lady were asked about the impact of the Presidency on
their marriage and, with an arm casually wrapped around Laura, he said that
he thought the place may be hard on weak marriages but that it had the
ability to make strong marriages even stronger and that he was blessed with a
      strong one.

      He noted that it would be a mistake to come to the Oval Office and
entertain a mission to find yourself. He said that with all of the pressures
and
      responsibilities that go with the job, you'd best know who you are when
you put your nameplate on the desk in the Oval Office. He said he knows who
      he is and now America has had four years to learn about who he is.

      When we departed the I said to him, "Mr. President, I know you to be a
man of strong faith and have a favor to ask you." As he shook my hand he
      looked me in the eye and said, "Just name it."

      I told him that my step-Mom was at that moment in a hospital in
Kalispell, Montana, having a tumor removed from her skull and it would mean a
great
      deal to me if he would consider adding her to his prayers that day. He
grabbed me by the arm and took me back toward his desk as he said, "So
      that's it. I could tell that something is weighing heavy on your heart
today. I could see it in your eyes. This explains it." From the top drawer of
his desk he retrieved a pen and a note card with his seal on it and asked,
"How do you spell her name?" He then jotted a note to her while discussing
the importance of family and the strength of prayer.

      When he handed me the card, he asked about the surgery and the
prognosis.  I told him we were hoping that it is not a recurrence of an
earlier cancer
      and that if it is they can get it all with this surgery. He said, "If
it's okay with you, we'll take care of the prayer right now. Would you pray
with
      me?" I told him yes and he turned to the staff that remained in the
office and hand motioned the folks to step back or leave. He said, "Bruce and
      would like some private time for a prayer."

      As they left he turned back to me and took my hands in his. I was
prepared to do a traditional prayer stance -- standing with each other with
heads
      bowed. Instead, he reached for my head with his right hand and pulling
gently forward, he placed my head on his shoulder. With his left arm on
      my mid-back, he pulled me to him in a prayerful embrace. He started to
pray softly. I started to cry.

      He continued his prayer for Loretta and for God's perfect will to be
done. I cried some more. My body shook a bit as I cried and he just held
tighter.
      He closed by asking God's blessing on Loretta and the family during the
coming months. I stepped away from our embrace, wiped my eyes, swiped at the
tears I'd left on his shoulder, and looked into the eyes of our President. I
thanked him as best I could and told him that me and my family would
      continue praying for he and his.

      As I write this account down and reflect upon what it means, I have to
tell you that all I really know is that his simple act left me humbled and
      believing. I so hoped that the man I thought him to be was the man that
he is. I know that our nation needs a man such as this in the Oval Office.
      George W. Bush is the real deal. I've read Internet stories about the
President praying with troops in hospitals and other such uplifting accounts.
Each time I read them I hope them to be true and not an Internet perpetuated
myth.

      This one, I know to be true. I was there. He is real. He has a pile of
incredible stuff on his plate each day - and yet he is tuned in so well to
the here and now that he 'sensed' something heavy on my heart. He took time
out of his life to care, to share, and to seek God's blessing for my family
in a simple man-to-man, father-to-father, son-to-son, husband-to-husband,
Christian-to-Christian prayerful embrace.

      He's not what I had hoped he would be. He is, in fact, so very, very
much more.

      Bruce Vincent