[CS-FSLUG] Glorifying having a baby out of wedlock

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Mon Oct 25 14:16:46 CDT 2004

Let's just look at a few things here...

> which we live in.  One 30 minute episode of Friends has more impact on our
> overall culture than all of the Christian media combined does in a month!

Not much to argue about here as this is probably true, though the
influence of shows like Friends is more subtle.  Let's not worry about
touching on "Christian Media" and their influence.

> is a FAR too common occurrence in our society, it was the 'GLORIFICATION' of
> that event that I want to address today.

Not sure how it was a "glorification" rather than presented as a normal
thing in life.  (And can we really argue that it's not normal in today's
culture?  We're not saying that it's right or best, but normal or common.)

> God, through His Word, is very specific about HIS plan for family.  One man,
> one woman, for one lifetime.  The man and woman having separate, but equal
> roles in the marriage.  A by-product of that marriage are children that they
> train up in the admonition of the Lord.  All other models are perversions of
> God's perfect, intended plan.

When did television ever present God's plan?  (Last time I read the
Bible and specifically Matt 28:19-20, it didn't mention television at
all.  Incidentally, how would you baptize someone through the
television?)  God's plan is for those that have chosen to recognize his
role/authority in their life.

> But my main point today is that to intentionally go outside of God's  plan
> for a family, like a woman  CHOOSING to have a child out of wedlock, is a
> horrible choice to make for both the mother, and the innocent child
> involved!

I thought most of the Christians were in the "pro-life" camp.  (If I
remember people talking about Friends, the child was the product of
casual sex and not trying to have a baby.  (The ones who were trying to
have a kid were married.)

> became pregnant.  God is a God of grace and mercy.  Even in our sinfulness,
> God loves us, and can turn our sin into HIS blessings.  However, that ONLY
> happens when we acknowledge our sin, ask God to forgive us, and begin from
> that point forward to do it HIS way.  When you make that choice, God can and
> will bless you, no matter what your circumstances may be.

This could be applied to any sin.

> adoption.  These are the ONLY two choices.  Abortion is murder.  To have an
> abortion is simply compounding your initial sin.  Trust me, as LONG AS YOU

This is the typical HUMAN viewpoint.  To God, sin is sin.  A little lie,
a little disobediance, a murderer, an adulteror.  It is all sin in the
eyes of God.  If you are a Christian, ALL sin is covered by the blood of
Jesus (but read Romans 6 here).  If you are not a Christian, does it
really matter?  Even the little sins will keep you out of heaven (not
mentioning the inherated original sin).  "Compounding sin"... don't
think it matters here (maybe "compounding consequences", but would have
to think about that one).

> Another common sin that I deal with daily, is the incredible desire by a
> woman who becomes pregnant to "marry the father of the baby."  Again, in
> almost ALL cases, you are simply compounding your sin.  Getting married

See above about compounding your sin.  There are many bad reasons to get
married, but I wouldn't say bad reasoning is a sin.

> because you are pregnant is one of the absolute WORST reasons there is to
> get married!  I can almost insure you that the man who got you pregnant, is
> most likely NOT the man God wants you to spend the rest of your life with.

How can one say what is in the mind of God?  Any marriage can work under
the care of God.  Think of the times of the Bible.  Weren't many
marriages arranged without much input on the part of the bride and
groom?  The idea that you must be "in love" first is a modern, western
idea.  There can be great marriages between people that haven't known
each other much beforehand.

> NO MAN OF GOD, WHO IS WALKING WITH THE LORD, WHO IS THE SPIRITUAL HEAD OF
> YOUR RELATIONSHIP AS GOD CALLS THE MAN TO BE, WOULD HAVE EVER SLEPT WITH YOU
> IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!  I am not making a blanket condemnation of all men

No?  Sounds like it to me!

> who sin in this way, but in most every case, a man who is willing to sleep
> with a woman out of the bonds of marriage, is NOT the man God wants you to
> spend the rest of your life with.

All have sinned and fallen short....   All can be tempted and fall.
Many spiritual leaders have fallen into adultery (and that's not as
"easy" as sex before marriage with someone you "love", I would say.)

> I love you and care about you so much.  GOD LOVES YOU EVEN MORE!  If you are
> currently pregnant out of the bonds of marriage, your first need is to get
> right with God.  Go to God's promise in 1 John 1:9, and get right with God.

Once again, applied to any sin.

> In closing, never forget that secular television has NO CONSCIENCE.  It
> simply portrays the message our modern culture finds appealing, regardless
> of how God feels.  Having a baby out of wedlock is NOT a glamorous

Yes, television is not God's voice.

> In His love and service,

Are you sure this was in "his love"?  Sound very condemning to me
compared to John 8.

My thoughts anyway,

sjm