[CS-FSLUG] Slackware Roadblock

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Sun Oct 24 23:01:05 CDT 2004

I've just run into what I would consider the most annoying thing in
Slackware yet, after spending nearly two straight days working on
getting the thing to work I've run into something thats completely out
of my hands. In order to get sound in KDE (due to a bad kdemultimedia
package) I had to upgrade KDE to 3.3.1 because someone pulled the 3.3.0
packages which were considered much stabler and now I've wound up with a
desktop that has huge icons spacing and icons that scatter every time I
log in again. This really has my fuming right now, it seems that every
distribution that has KDE and Gnome puts all their effort into Gnome and
doesn't even bother to make sure their KDE packages will work.

If I find the time I'm going to try to vent my frustration on a game of
C&C, otherwise I may very well wipe my Slackware install as I've nearly
done a few times after failed attempts to get KDE working the way it
should. If someone else has come across this and know how to fix KDE in
Slackware I'd be glad to hear it, I'd very reluctantly consider
downgrading KDE (hey KDE 3.3 kicks but) if I had to (& knew how).

Alternatively I've considered giving Fedora Core 3 a try when its
released or getting SUSE 9.2 if it turns out good, right now I can't
tell because that sick computer store is still holding half my ram
hostage for the fun of it so I don't have enough to get the SUSE 9.2
live CD to boot.

Perhaps Mr Miller who seems to be the resident SUSE expert and Mr.
Brault who seems to be the resident Fedora Core expert could both
provide me with some interesting information on the upcoming releases of
the two distributions? Anyone else can join in and mention any other
distribution, I've been curious about the upcoming Libranet release as
well as the possibility of a more up to date Slackware release with KDE
actually done right.

I'm almost ready to do like Groundhog and simply install a minimalistic
XFCE desktop system with a good web browser and whatever else as long as
the distribution includes Qt Designer, I never learned how to use the
KDE libs and never liked KDevelop anyway. Come to thing of it if I could
find one I liked that would be an excellent idea.

--
http://www.geocities.com/ntws01/
http://ntws01.blogspot.com/