[CS-FSLUG] Thought on food

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Oct 22 08:15:56 CDT 2004

Being a missionary, I have one of the skills or personality traits that has me
liking nearly every form of food.  I have eaten Indian food (with my hands, of
course), Korean food (with chopsticks), Japanese, Phillipino, Sierra-Leonian,
etc.  I think what I love about food, most of all, is the great variety and
creativity of palette.

But the food that has me stumped was from Indonesia, and it is a fruit called
"Durian."  Durian can be found in a number of Asian countries, and it is so
loved that it comes as durian donuts, durian jelly, etc.  But in the same
respect, it is banned from a number of mass transport areas.  In Malaysia they
had durian banned from the rail-way, right up there with bicycles and kissing
your wife.

When a fellow missionary took me out to eat durian for my first time, we
started eating it.  I ate a few chomps, then asked him if it was rotten.  His
response?  "Well, I am not sure.  It has always tasted this way to me, but I
have not eaten it regularly."  His wife had made sure we ate it outside, and
had brought stuff so we could wash most of the smell off our hands before
returning to the house.  Strange stuff, Durian.

	- Tim Young