[CS-FSLUG] Slackware

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Thu Oct 21 18:12:47 CDT 2004

Nathan: Perhaps my Stealth Desktop series might be useful to you. Check
them out at OfB.biz :)

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 19:24, N. Thompson wrote:
> I've got a long weekend comming up and I'm probably going to take that
time to
> switch over to Slackware and get a usable system going, Mandrake and
SUSE may
> have nice shiny graphical configuration tools that require the world's
most
> powerful supercomputers all running in a cluster in order to run
without
> causing my music to skip but I don't have the control I want. I have
to put
> up with OpenOffice the way they like it, I have to put up with little
control
> over the packages I use because Mandrake doesn't want me to have X11
without
> a pretty load bar during the boot process and because SUSE likes to be
> little more commercial then Mandrake and as such has a shortage of
user
> contributed RPMs and worse performance then Mandrake.
>
> I'm going to need some help of course since this is going to take some
> adjusting to, first off I'm going to be using KDE and I'm going to
want all
> the developer tools I may need to compile my own Qt apps and lots of
nice KDE
> goodies, I'm also going to need very little networking software aside
from
> maybe NFS and SMB, the KDE public file server applet and what I need
for
> DHCP.
>
> Basically I just want to hear any tips for the setup process and then
I want
> to know how to remove unwanted software, find software and updates and
> install them easily. Then I want to know how to make my system secure
by
> setting up a firewall, preferably graphically and with significant
ease and
> from there I'll try to figure things out myself or go to the list for
help.

> One more thing, the command to create users didn't work for me last
time in
> Slackawre, is it addusr?
>
> BTW. I have two network interfaces, eth0 is a 3com somethingarather
and eth1
> is an RTL-8139 compatible thingamajig, I want to use the RTL-8139
thingamajig
> and have the 3com somethingarather unused since its not hooked up to
anything
> and usually greatly slows down the boot process while it tries to get
an IP
> address, if someone could tell me how this is done and perhaps even
tell me
> about some of the configuration tools I might expect to find in
Slackware I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nathan.

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
 Whereat some one of the loquacious Lot--
 I think a Sufi pipkin--waxing hot--
   "All this of Pot and Potter--Tell me then,
 Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

	-- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam