[CS-FSLUG] Putting computer in Standby in Linux

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Oct 21 14:57:35 CDT 2004

On Wednesday October 20 2004 11:49 pm, Brian Derr wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:38:16PM -0600, N. Thompson wrote:
> > I'm wondering how I might get a standby option in Linux for when I want
> > to keep the computer ready for when I need to use it but also nice and
> > quiet for when I'm trying to sleep at night. Does anyone have any
> > helpful advice as to where I could find support for this in Mandrake
> > 10.0 and how to use it?
>
> If you can find such a thing I'd like to hear about it.  I haven't heard
> of a suspend mode for linux and don't think there will be.  (Unless you
> write the code to put it there! ;-)  At any rate, in linux your choices
> are on or off.

There are some new utils IN SUSE Pro. 9.2 that will ship the 1st of Nov. Check
http://www.suse.com to see what's all there. I do know of one utility that
will suspend a hard drive.

Fred

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."