[CS-FSLUG] It's starting

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:01:56 CDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:53:44 -0500, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 23:19, Jukka Y wrote:
> > Nice to hear that they are starting to realize that FOSS is a good
> > alternative. Has your buddy at the computer shop (or others you
> > mentioned) explained what were the "business apps" he was looking
> > for? Did he find them or some alternatives? If alternatives, what
> > were they?
>
> I did a bit of research and discovered that most everything is covered,
> but it took that last round of virus attacks to convince him finally.
> Now he's building a box for FreeBSD and setting it up as router for his
> DSL connection to the network inside his shop.
>
> Just today he was wowed by the idea that such things as 'whois' and
> 'host' can be done from the commandline, because they come standard
> with Open Source. WinXP Pro is missing them.

This is a directional shift, but I would like to come up with a name
for a ministry where I offer presentations - Linux Demos - to churches
(staff and members).  I would basically produce an educational seminar
- say @ 4 hours long - that covers the following aspects of FOSS:
<>Moral/Theological/Legal
<>Technological
<>Software Availability
<>Support Options (Commercial & Community)
The whole seminar would include a well-rounded tour of Linux'
command-line and graphical environments.

I hate to carry over the name of the church ministry - Matheteuo
Christian Fellowship just wouldn't cut it.  Yet I'm stuck trying to
come up with a name.  Any bright ideas?

Thanks,
Don

--