[CS-FSLUG] It's starting

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:06:05 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:31:20 -0400, Fred Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday October 19 2004 3:29 pm, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > My buddy at the computer shop in town got a bushel of viruses a few
> > months ago. He already knew about Open Source, but had doubts because
> > of the lack of "business apps". Then he got some more viruses and
> > decided to install SuSE on one of his spares. Fell in love with it.
> > Then he found out I run FreeBSD and was hot to learn it, too.
> >
> > Now he mentions to customers the phrase "virus free" and a few are
> > beginning to perk their ears up. Folks in our area have had a lot of
> > it. Today, one of his customers called and asked for private help
> > installing and running Knoppix 3.6. I really don't care about the money
> > he offered; this is way out in the middle of nowhere, Texas, and
> > somebody is giving serious consideration to jumping from XP to Linux.
> >
> > Time to rejoice!

And I just met with a pastor today who wants me to return to discuss
the use of FOSS in the church with his office staff.  I may be able to
produce a seminar for the church in 2005.  I'll take a desktop PC
(wish I had a laptop) and give 'em a tour.  So, along with the
rejoicing, keep praying.

God bless,
Don

--