FW: [CS-FSLUG] Partitioning fix LOST my Mandrake

Ruth Marlene Friesen bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com
Mon Oct 18 00:19:58 CDT 2004

Hi folks.
Time to report on trying that re-partitioning of my 2nd computer using
the suggestions by Fred and Don (below).

I tried to re-install from my original installation CDs, but the
computer ignored the CD and entered  Mandrake as usual. I went into the
control center, and was able to do the partitioning quite smoothly.

I ended up with:
/ 3.4 GB Linux native
/swap - 1GB
/usr - 1.9GB
/home - 3.6 GB.

I got an error message: Output in file /etc/fstal failed: Input/output error
but didn't know what to do about that.

By the way, what does this mean:
Partition booted by default (for MS DOS boot, not for lilo) ?

Another message: Application Nautilus (process 3571) has crashed due to
a fatal error (segmentation fault).

So-o... I tried shutting down and starting up. Several times. (I've
copied down the screen full of lines in case that helps solve anything,
but it generally looks okay until it comes to these lines;

mounting root filesystem
UFS: can't find ext3 filesystem on dev. ide(') (3,6)
mount: error 22 mounting ext 3 flags freeing unused kernel memory: 136 k
freed.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing inut=option to kernel.

Meantime, the Caps lock and Scroll lock keys on the keyboard are flashing!

That was all Friday night.
Tonight I thought I had made a boot diskette, but I can't find it. So I
just tried again, and get the above again. Even hoped to adjust some
setting in Setup so it would read the CD drive for a boot up disk and
start me on a fresh installation from scratch. No go.

(sigh!) I'm stuck. I'm almost too ashamed to ask, but any practical
suggestions?

Blessings & Thanks,
Ruth