[CS-FSLUG] That'll be $0.01 ;-)

Jukka Y mail at ylonen.info
Sat Oct 16 04:55:16 CDT 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 11:22, N. Thompson wrote:
[snip]
> I'll probably be graduating from school in 2006 or 2007 depending on how
> hard I want my workload to be, I work hard every night doing homework so
> I don't have time for a job on the side and I don't have much to do
> aside from what little programming I can learn during what little free
> time I have. I'm 18 now so I can do a lot of things but I'm just not
> interested in anything aside from my education, getting a job if I can,
> programming and my interests in carpentry and building custom computers
> as well as learning how to make machines, computer peripherals and micro
> controllers. I have not turned away from God, in fact now I try to keep
> a log every time I want to write down something before bed and often the
> topic relates in some way to God or the Bible. Kids at school are
> getting drunk underage, a lot of them can't understand why I don't even
> touch alcoholic beverages at all and I personally don't feel the need to
> even risk the chance of becoming intoxicated, I'm more or less alone in
> a crowd at school because they are all party animals in some way or
> another, some of them are unpredictable, others seem bent on remaining
> anti-social, some appear to be associated in some way or another in cult
> like groups and the only think I have in common with the people I would
> consider decent people there is my shyness.

I used to be a troublemaker and arrogant at school (which I regret now), but
by that I was just covering my own fears.

> I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish school or whether I'll
> even have gone to the trouble of getting a drivers license by then, I've
> considered the possibility of working for a few years before going to
> college or university, I've also considered going straight to university
> if I manage to get some sort of scholarship. I'm very proud of recent
> increases in my marks at school, last I checked all of my marks in
> school this semester were over 80%, math was 86% and history last I
> heard was 91%. I've developed a strong interest in cryptography and I've
> still got the same concrete interest in programming, I've found history
> to be more and more enjoyable compared to other topics in school and
> I've found out that psychology is something I don't really enjoy much at
> all. I find now more and more my concern is focusing on what kind of
> job(s) I'm going to have as an adult, this are getting increasingly more
> complicated and jobs increasingly less pleasant as time goes on, I'd
> personally like to be self employed but that may be more punishment and
> risk then its worth.

I think you are doing just fine. We should just ask God to give us what we
need and then try to do our best. When I felt myself quite hopeless trying to
find a job and a place to live 10 years ago, I asked God to take care of
them. I still have other problems with my life but this is my 8th year in a
current job and I was given a home (with a decent rent) next door to my
job. :-)

[snip]

> Just thought of the subject line, in case anyone doesn't know it has to
> do with the quote "penny for your thoughts", its figurative of course :-) .

my 0.01 euro's ;-)

Blessings,
Jukka