[CS-FSLUG] Competing for Christ.

Fred Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 12 12:28:30 CDT 2004

DAILY DEVOTIONAL   MONDAY OCTOBER 11, 2004
(1 Corinthians 9:24, Galatians 5:7, Philippians 3:14, 2 Timothy 4:7,8)

***HALLOWEEN SPECIAL DEVOTIONALS!  There will be a special 2-part Devotional
next Thursday (10/14) and Friday (10/15) about Halloween.  I am not willing
to give satan one second, let alone an entire day.  We are claiming this day
for the Lord and instead of being a day to celebrate all that is evil,
turning it into a day to witness for Jesus!  Don't miss these special
Devotionals next Thursday and Friday!

Competing for Christ.  This is a special time of year for baseball fans as
the playoffs have started to determine who will play in the World Series.
For the 2 1/2 - 3 hours these critical games last, the players are
competing, using their God-given talents and abilities to try and help their
team win.  We are now in the heart of football season.  Each week in high
school, college, and professional stadiums around the nation, men are
competing for four quarters while their fans cheer them on.  As I was
watching a few baseball and football games this past weekend, I began
thinking about another sports fan, Paul.

Paul made several analogies between the Christian life and sports in his
writings.  Most had to do with the training an athlete undergoes in
preparing to compete.  This weekend I saw another analogy that I am sure
Paul did as well.  During the course of the game, these athletes are
competing, using every bit of their talents and abilities to do the best
they can.  As the game goes on, some step up and perform heroically helping
their team to win.  IF AN ATHLETE CAN USE ALL OF HIS TALENTS AND ABILITIES
TO WIN A GAME, HOW MUCH MORE SHOULD A CHILD OF GOD USE THEIR TALENTS AND
ABILITIES TO SERVE OUR LORD?

Let me challenge you today my friend.  If an athlete can go out and train,
practice for endless hours perfecting their skills, go out on the day of a
game and give everything they have to win a game that in light of eternity
is meaningless, the child of God should train harder, practice harder, and
never give less than everything we have since those people we reach for
Christ can escape everlasting separation from God and enjoy eternity with
Him.  The performance of an athlete during a game may determine who wins and
loses that game, but the performance of those who serve the Lord can
determine if a person spends eternity with the Lord or is forever separated
from Him.  While what that athlete does may be important for that moment,
what the servant of God does is important for eternity!!!

I want you to understand today that what you do for the Lord has eternal
significance.  The way you live your life each day, sharing your faith in
Christ with others, allowing God to work through you to bless someone else
is greater than hitting a home run in the World Series or throwing a
touchdown pass in the Super Bowl.  Even though star athletes get paid
millions of dollars for what they do on the field, the child of God is paid
in things more precious than silver and gold for what they do for the Lord.
You can't put a price on the peace and joy only God can give you.  You can't
put a price on God's blessings.  God's rewards for those who are faithful in
serving Him are greater than all the riches of this world.

I love you and care about you so much.  I will be praying for you today to
NEVER forget how important what you do for Christ each day really is.  You
may not be performing on prime time television, or be on the cover of Sports
Illustrated, but nothing any athlete does in their sport can compare to what
you do when you are serving the Lord.  They are providing entertainment to
those who they reach, you are providing the words of LIFE to those who you
reach.  Even though man looks at the athlete as a hero, God looks at those
who serve Him as a hero.

The next time you are watching a sporting event, enjoy the special  talents
of those who are playing the game.  But never forget God has given you
special talents too.  He has given every one of His children gifts and
talents to serve Him with.  Exercise your gifts and use your talents to
share the hope and love of Christ with the lost and hurting in your life.
There may not be a stadium full of people cheering as you faithfully serve
our Lord, but there is an angelic host rooting you on and Jesus on His
throne waiting to welcome you into Glory when your race is finished!

In His love and service,
Your friend and brother in Christ,
Bill Keller

If I can help you in any way you can contact me through my personal email
at bkeller at liveprayer.com

***GET YOUR FREE LPeMAIL ACCOUNT!  Never miss receiving your Daily
Devotional again.  LPeMail is an effective email SPAM filtering application
that most ISP's charge $10/mo, for FREE!  Get your LPeMail account now at:
www.lpemail.com .

***I am excited to let you know that the Liveprayer Daily Devotional is
now available via AUDIO each day.  Simply go to
http://www.liveprayer.com/DailyDevotionalAudio.html

©Copyright 2004, Bill Keller Ministries. All rights reserved

--
"Running Windows on a Pentium is like getting a Porsche but only being
able to drive it in reverse with the handbrake on."